Weekly Reflection for Week of 20 March- 24 March

How did you do on your work?
This week I think I did pretty well on my work. The Mendelian Genetics packet was pretty easy for me and I really like the work we did with the pedigrees. I still do not exactly understand the purpose of the pedigrees at this point in time, but they were pretty fun to work with. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I remembered from sophomore year. This is definitely one of my favorite units and it makes even more sense now because of my background in stats. Sophomore year, chi square values and critical values did not really make sense to me, but now chi square tests make a lot more sense. 
What do you think you understand well?
I think I understand the chi square tests as well as Mendelian genetics. Punnett squares are also really fun to work with especially with the new trick we learned to avoid having giant punnett squares. Crossing over did not make a lot of sense to me in the beginning of the week, but once we started looking at the pictures and started the virtual lab my brain understood what was going on much better. 
Where do you think you can improve?
I think I need to improve my overall understanding of how mitosis, meiosis, chromosomes, and genetics all link together. Watching the vodcasts again and asking more questions during our discos would probably help me get a better grasp on how everything works together in one unit. 
What strategies will you use to improve?
Kind of answered this already, but I need to watch some videos that link all of the different subjects together instead of just videos that analyze the subjects independently. 
How does the work we are doing fit into the context/narrative of the course? 
This week linked together statistics and biology regarding genetics and variation which brought us back to the first couple of units and tied some stuff together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Misconceptions!!!

CRISPR